Saturday 20th February 2010
150 Years of Local Government in Mudgee
On 21st February 1860 the Municipality of Mudgee was proclaimed and several months later in July 1860 the surrounding rural Municipality of Mudgee was proclaimed. These two local government areas were among the earliest local government areas to be created outside of Sydney. To celebrate the 150th anniversary of local government in the Mid-Western Regional Council area, celebrations were held in Market Street, Mudgee, in front of the former Mudgee Town Hall, now the Mudgee Library. A display of transport from the 1860s until the 2000s included the recently restored Austin A40 utility belonging to the Mudgee Historical Society Inc which was also involved in the organization of the celebrations. Check the photos of the vehicles at the bottom of this page!
The official celebrations included a ‘welcome to country’ by representatives of the local Wiradjuri community, speeches by Mayor Percy Thompson and John Broadley (President of the Mudgee Historical Society Inc), recitation of a poem written for the occasion by local bard Kevin Pye, and singing of an old Mudgee song ‘Down by the Cudgegong’ by Andy Pirie, a former Mayor of Mudgee in the late 1950s. A shop window display and a period costume competition was also held as part of the celebrations.
The regular Farmer's Market was held in the grounds of St Mary's Roman Catholic Church on that Saturday and organizers Ross and Liz Mayberry operated a stall showing a selection of interesting historical curios and also conducted a children's guessing competition. The stall attracted a lot of interest from passers-by and was a great promotional opportunity for the Mudgee HistoricalSociety Inc. Thanks to the Mayberry family for their assistance.
Thanks to Ed de Long from the Mid-Western Regional Council for all his hard work.